OTA Additional Policies
OTA Dress Code
- The Student ID must be worn at chest level and be conspicuous at all times.
- Polos must be program-approved and bear the Stanbridge University logo on the left breast of the shirt.
- Polos must be clean and unwrinkled.
- Undershirts worn underneath the polo uniform top may be short sleeve or long sleeve but must be white, grey, or of light colors that can show staining if tainted with blood or body fluids. No other undergarments may be visible.
- Pants can be beige or black.
- Pants must be clean, non-wrinkled, and with no holes. Pants must be well-fitting but not excessively baggy or with leg bottoms touching the floor. Pants must also be loose enough to allow for occupational therapy practices such as bending, squatting, transferring clients, and getting on the ground with children, etc.
Shoes and Stockings
- Shoes must have a rubber/non-conductive sole. No high heels.
- Shoes must be closed toe and must be clean at all times.
- Plain, non-flashy sneakers are acceptable in solid, non-bright or non-fluorescent colors.
Jewelry, Hair, and Nails
- The only visible, pierced jewelry that is acceptable is a small, single, stud earring. Hoops, rings, or dangling earrings are not allowed. Jewelry on the tongue, eyebrows, nose, lips, etc. is not allowed.
- Facial hair must be neatly trimmed to a maximum length of ½ inch to permit proper fit of personal protective equipment (as recommended by the Center for Disease Control), and not be of a faddish or unusual appearance.
- Only a plain wedding band is acceptable.
- Hair must be pulled back out of the face and off the shoulders. Hair color must be of a natural color; faddish or unnatural colors or styles are not permitted.
- Hair accessories must be plain.
- Nails must be trimmed and kept clean at all times. Nail length must be kept at a maximum of 2 mm overhang. Artificial nails are not allowed.
- Tattoos cannot be visible. Tattoos and piercing are discouraged while in school due to increased chance of infection and the ability to comply with Stanbridge and hospital policy.
- Clinical facilities may have other requirements or regulations in addition to the requirements listed above. Students must comply with any additional uniform requirements at the fieldwork facility.
Students are required to carry health insurance, throughout the duration of their program, at their own cost, and may be asked to provide a copy to program administration or clinical facility.